Home » Blog » Clinical Articles » Queensland Coroner Calls for Safer Batteries after Inquest into Death of Four-Year-Old

Queensland Coroner Calls for Safer Batteries after Inquest into Death of Four-Year-Old

Manufacturers of button-sized lithium batteries must make them safe if swallowed, a Queensland coroner has recommended following an inquest into the death of four-year-old Sunshine Coast girl Summer Steer.

Summer became the first child to die in Australia from swallowing a lithium, or “button”, battery when she passed away on June 30, 2013. She had been taken to Noosa hospital with a stomach ache, fever and vomiting blood, but doctors twice sent her home. It was not until she was transferred to Brisbane that a battery was found in her oesophagus… Read More>>

Source: ABC News