Going Viral: Episode 157
Going Viral: AZ Clots – Are you missing it?
In this episode:
– The key to diagnosis is the timing relating to the first dose of the AZ vaccine, most cases occurring between days 4 and 30
– Look out for headaches and abdominal pain that are unusual, does not settle with usual treatment, and occur within the 4 – 30 day post immunisation period
– Key blood tests show thrombocytopenia <150 and d-dimer >5 times ULN
Host: Dr David Lim, GP and Medical Educator
Total time: 27 mins
Guest: A/Prof Nigel Crawford, Paediatrician; Director, Surveillance of Adverse Events Following Vaccination In the Community (SAEFVIC), Murdoch Children’s Research Institute; Head of Immunisation Services Royal Children’s Hospital, Melbourne; Chair, Victorian Specialist Immunisation Services (VicSIS) network
– Melbourne Vaccine Education Centre – Thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome (TTS)
– TGA COVID-19 vaccine weekly safety report
– Latest ATAGI statement on revised recommendations on the use of COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca, 17 June 2021
– Coronavirus vaccine – weekly summary of Yellow Card reporting
Log your own CPD by following these easy steps:
– Listen to 30 minutes of Healthed podcasts
– Click on the Quick Log logo and follow the link to the RACGP website
– Log in to your myCPD dashboard
– Click on the Quick Log function to log your points
– A 30 minute podcast earns 1 CPD point
Enjoy this content?
Each fortnight, Healthed hosts a free webcast featuring leading experts on important topics for healthcare professionals. Register for the upcoming webcast by clicking the button below.