Choosing the Right Genetic Test
Summary: There is a plethora of genetic tests available through established pathology providers. As healthcare professionals, GPs are responsible for providing patients with accurate advice about which tests to consider. The first key issue to consider is: what question am I asking of this test? You must have a clear understanding of what you and the patient want to know. Without having an agreed purpose for a test, you cannot work out whether the test can provide an answer. The second issue to consider is: what evidence is there that this test can provide a useful answer to that question? Would the answer be useful for the patient? Or for relatives? Or for the funder of this test? This presentation will help provide GPs with the foundations for making these assessments.
Log your own CPD by following these easy steps:
• listen to 30 minutes of Healthed videos
• click on the Quick Log logo and follow the link to the RACGP website
• login to your myCPD dashboard
• click on the Quick Log function to log your points
• a 30 minute video earns 1 CPD point