Nutrition, Children and Rickets
Summary: Nutritional rickets has re-emerged a significant paediatric health problem that can result in limb deformity, poor growth, fractures, seizures and occasionally cardiomyopathy and death. It is seen in children of all ages, most notably in infants. Nutritional rickets in almost fully preventable with universal vitamin D supplementation of pregnant woman and infants until 12 months of age. This talk will provide an overview of vitamin D metabolism and an understanding of the role that vitamin D and calcium plays in skeletal development in children and the potential devastating effect of nutritional rickets on growth and development.
Log your own CPD by following these easy steps:
• listen to 30 minutes of Healthed videos
• click on the Quick Log logo and follow the link to the RACGP website
• login to your myCPD dashboard
• click on the Quick Log function to log your points
• a 30 minute video earns 1 CPD point