Measles outbreak in Sydney worsens, more expected after Blue Mountains Hospital case
Health authorities say the measles outbreak in western Sydney has worsened, with 16 cases so far, and more likely.
It brings the number of measles cases across New South Wales to 22 so far this year.
In the latest case in the city’s west, a man who was infected by an earlier case at Quakers Hill turned up at the Blue Mountains Hospital on Good Friday. He was isolated and is recovering.
Vicky Sheppeard, director of communicable diseases with NSW Health, said it was possible the patient infected others while spending time in Lawson, Strathfield and Leichhardt in the preceding days.
The patient visited Marion Aged Care Facility in Leichhardt on April 10, the Me Oi Vietnamese Restaurant in Strathfield that same day and went to the Lawson shops in the Blue Mountains again that day as well as on April 13.
“Unfortunately there probably still will be more cases to arise,” Dr Sheppeard said.
But the important thing about getting the message out is that if others do develop the symptoms, if they can isolate themselves rather than spread it further. That’s the way that we are able to stop the outbreak.”
The first major outbreak of measles in Sydney in five years was initially sparked by a traveller who contracted it in Bali, with it since spreading through western Sydney.