Depression in Men – Practical Advice – Lecture – CPD 1 Point
In this Healthed lecture, Prof David Castle, explains why mood disorders in men are less common than in women, but keep this diagnosis in mind if behaviour is becoming violent. Allowing men to express their emotional pain and marshalling support, offering helplines, support groups all help. Pay attention to longitudinal history when differentiating depression from bipolar disorder, and if you suspect this, avoid prescribing SNRIs and tricyclics. When the patient cannot see the pain they will cause when they die by suicide, we may have to take active measures even against the patient’s will.
Log your own CPD by following these easy steps:
• listen to this Healthed podcast
• click on the Quick Log logo and follow the link to the RACGP website
• login to your myCPD dashboard
• click on the Quick Log function to log your points
• a 30 minute podcast earns 1 CPD point