Anti-CCP and Diagnosing Rheumatoid Arthritis
Historical and Pathological Background
Research in rheumatoid arthritis (RA) over the past 10 years has gained significant ground in both pathophysiological and clinical understanding.
It is now known that early aggressive therapy within the first three months of the development of joint symptoms decreases the chance of developing severe disease, both clinically and radiologically.
To enable this early diagnosis, there has been considerable effort made to discover serological markers of disease.
Around 80% of RA patients become rheumatoid factor positive (IgM RF), though this can take many years to occur. In other words, IgM RF (hereafter called RF) has low sensitivity in the early stages of RA.
Furthermore, patients with other inflammatory diseases (including ...
- ACR Position statement on anti-CCP antibodies http://www.rheumatology.org/publications hotline/1003anticcp.asp.
- Forslind K, Ahlmén M, Eberhardt K, Hafström I, Svensson B; BARFOT Study Group. Prediction of radiologic outcome in early rheumatoid arthritis in clinical practice: role of antibodies to citrullinated peptides (anti-CCP). Ann Rheum Dis. 2004; 63(9):1090-5. DOI: 10.1136/ard.2003.014233
- Huizinga TW, Amos CI, van der Helm-van Mil AH, Chen W, van Gaalen FA, Jawaheer D, et al. Refining the complex rheumatoid arthritis phenotype based on specificity of the HLA-DRB1 Shared epitope for antibodies to citrullinated proteins. Arthritis Rheum. 2005 Nov; 52(11): 3433-8. DOI: 10.1002/art.21385
- Lee DM, Schur PH. Clinical Utility of the anti-CCP assay in patients with rheumatic disease. Ann Rheum Dis. 2003 Sep; 62(9): 870-4. DOI: 10.1136/ard.62.9.870
- van Gaalen FA1, Linn-Rasker SP, van Venrooij WJ, de Jong BA, Breedveld FC, Verweij CL et al. Autoantibodies to cyclic citrullinated peptides predict progression to rheumatoid arthritis in patients with undifferentiated arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 2004 Mar; 50(3): 709-15. DOI: 10.1002/art.20044
- Zendman AJW, van Venrooij WJ, Prujin GJM. Use and significance of anti-CCP autoantibodies in rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology. 2006 Jan; 45(1): 20-5. DOI: 10.1093/rheumatology/kei111